Friday, November 16, 2012

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Recently, there was a story in the news here about a young lady who passed away as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning in her home. It was such a sad story. It really got to me. She was a newlywed and this accident took her life. It just reminded me of how fragile and precious life is. It seems as if lately so many stories like this pop up in the news. In the UK, approximately 50 people are killed each year from the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning and many others are harmed by the effects. I know that many of you out there are aware of the dangers, but it never hurts to share a reminder to us all, especially during these winter months.

Authorities are attempting to get the word out more than ever to people about the dangers and to encourage them to install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes. These detectors are so essential because they pick up the signs that we cannot, especially when we are sleeping. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer because it is invisible, tasteless, and you cannot smell it. It's given off from the burning of various fuels, including gas and coal, among many others. It is caused by the incomplete combustion of these fuels. If the detector is installed correctly in the home, it can alert us all if there are high levels of carbon monoxide in our homes. You can easily find more additional resources about carbon monoxide alarms on the internet.

As I researched, I've found that sometimes people have been affected by carbon monoxide poisoning, but they aren't aware because they mistake the symptoms for some other illness. People may be totally unaware that they have been exposed. It's important for all of us to note that if we think that we have been exposed we should seek treatment immediately since there are risks to being exposed long-term. Some symptoms to be aware of are: nausea, headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, vomiting, and even some flu-like symptoms.

In addition to having the detector, it is also wise to always keep the home well-ventilated and to keep your heating system, whichever one you use, maintained on a regular basis.

Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive and should certainly go hand in hand within all of our homes with smoke detectors. Both are inexpensive, but that is beside the point, because life is more valuable than anything as we all know. I'm glad that I did a bit of reading up on this because it will make me more aware and that is definitely a good thing. Please stay safe!

*Sponsored post

No comments: